Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Clipping Coupons: Is It Really Frugal?

The answer to that isn't so simple.  Yes cutting coupons is frugal.  But sometimes, it isn't!  If you are clipping coupons and buying things that are name-brand when you could buy the generic, store-brand for less, then no, you are not being frugal when using coupons.  If you are clipping coupons and going haywire buying things you don't need or use (yes, I have been guilty of this A LOT in the past), then no, you are not being frugal when using coupons.  

The simple, cut and dry, truth is that, you have to make frugality work for you and your family.  There is no one simple way to be frugal that is "one size fits all".  If you can buy all generic, store-brand items for less than the name brand coupled with a sale and a coupon, shouldn't you?  Pasta, for instance, is one thing that is always the same.  I dont' have to buy a brand name pasta to ensure that I am getting a good taste and quality when the store brand is exactly the same.  Yes, you may prefer certain items in certain brands.  That's okay.  But if you are trying to trim your grocery budget, then you should also be trimming costs on things you always have to buy.

I love to clip coupons, but a lot of the time I don't buy the brands featured in the coupon inserts.  So, it's not worth my time or money to buy those Sunday papers week after week.  If I find a sale on something I really like and use often, I will buy my coupons, often in bulk for that particular item and then rack up on the savings.  I especially do this when Food Lion has their sale on Scott Toilet Paper 12-ct. for $3.99.  I will buy as many coupons as I can and get as many packs for $2.99 as possible!  I can usually stockpile a years worth of TP for under $40!  It's also handy because we don't have to run to the store at the most inconvenient times because we are out of toilet paper.  :)

More to come tomorrow....We'll talk about HOW to use your coupons coupled with a great sale CORRECTLY ;)

1 comment:

  1. You have provided lots of info in your blog and please continue blogging. I would like to read your normal writing essays help daily routine at work as a radiographer. :)

    ReplyDelete