Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Making Use of Unused Baby Food

Our family gets WIC (Women, Infant, & Children) which is a supplemental food program for families with children who are "low-income".  It's a great program and provides our family with formula, milk, cheese, cereal, beans, tuna, baby cereal, juice, and jarred baby food.  We have tons of the jarred baby food left over as my son did not want to eat these.  They are taking up quite a bit of room in the cabinets and quite frankly, getting on my nerves as we are already crunched for space!

I hadn't figured out what I could do with all this baby food until a few days ago.  After buying the YoBaby yogurt, I realized I could be saving money and just making my own!  Well, partially making my own.  I bought a big container of plain, organic yogurt and started adding the fruits to it instead of buying it already mixed.  My 11 month old loves it!  I also found it's a good way to sneak in those veggie baby food varieties that he is not so crazy about and he doesn't even bat an eye!

Just wanted to share.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it hard to find uses for these leftover items.  Also check out these recipes for things you can do with that leftover Rice or Oatmeal cereal.  If all else fails, feel free to donate to your local food pantry.  We get so much milk I usually give half of it to the grandmother of one of my son's teammates since they don't have a lot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment